The purpose of this Act is to —
- give effect to the constitutional right to privacy, by safeguarding personal information when processed by a responsible party, subject to justifiable limitations that are aimed at—
- balancing the right to privacy against other rights, particularly the right of access to information; and
- protecting important interests, including the free flow of information within the Republic and across international borders;
- regulate the manner in which personal information may be processed, by establishing conditions, in harmony with international standards, that prescribe the minimum threshold requirements for the lawful processing of personal information;
- provide persons with rights and remedies to protect their personal information from processing that is not in accordance with this Act; and
- establish voluntary and compulsory measures, including the establishment of an Information Regulator, to ensure respect for and to promote, enforce and fulfil the rights protected by this Act.